TikTok has over 1 billion monthly users and was the most popular downloaded app in 2020 and 2021. One of the more impressive aspects of TikTok is its extensive music library. The platform has over 150,000 royalty-free songs readily available for its users. Whether you’re making TikToks for your business or just for fun, music is a must-have that will help you take your content to the next level.
Here’s everything you need to know:
How to browse for songs on the app
Not sure what sound you need? No problem. TikTok makes it easy to browse its collection of available songs, find inspiration, and hop on new trends.
- Open the TikTok app and go to discover
- At the top, you’ll see two buttons: trends and sounds. Click on sounds
- From there, you’ll be able to explore popular songs and sounds
- If you see a song you like, you can explore ways that song is used in trending videos. This is a quick and easy way to grab some inspiration for your own videos.
- If you want to use the song later, you can bookmark it and save it to your favorites
- If you want to use the song right away, click the button at the bottom of the sound that says “use this sound"
If you’re watching a video and want to know what sound they’re using, you can tap the sound icon in the bottom right-hand corner. There, you’ll see the original video and other inspiration. You can choose to use the sound right away or bookmark it for later.
How to add music to your TikTok videos
- Go to the TikTok app on your phone
- Tap the ‘+‘ icon at the bottom center of the screen
- Record your video or upload an existing video
- Click the sounds icon and search for the song you want
- If you can’t find your song, you can click more to see more available songs
- Once you find the song you want, click the red checkmark and then click next
Adding music before recording
- Tap the add sound button at the top of the screen
- The app will redirect you to the sounds page, where you can browse popular sounds or choose from your favorites
- Once you pick a song, click the checkmark
- The add sound button will reflect the name of the song you chose at the top of the screen
- You can now begin recording!
The app will show you a preview of the video before posting it. Whatever is shown to you was picked by the TikTok algorithm. If you aren’t happy with the way it’s positioned: there is a way to trim the audio and edit the song length to fit your needs.
How to trim the music
On TikTok, you won’t be able to put the entire song on the back of your video since TikToks are usually only 30-60 seconds long.
Once you have your video uploaded and you’re ready to trim the music to fit your video, you’ll want to...
- Click on the scissors icon to see the complete audio sound wave.
- Carefully use your finger to choose the section of the song you want
- Use timestamps to help you find the right part of a song you want to use
- Once you highlight the part of the song you want, you can also adjust the volume of your original sound and the song sound
- If you’re choosing to keep any of the original sounds in the video, make sure the song isn’t too overpowering.
- Once your music is adjusted, and you continue editing your video or get ready to post it to the app
Now that users can freely use popular songs on the app to complement their content, having the best music is vital to your video's success. As you explore new sounds and look for ways to cut the songs to fit your videos, you'll be impressed with the wide range of sounds and songs you can choose for your content.